Thursday, August 9, 2007

Real men don't eat quiche

Back when the NY Times started their Thursday style section, I remember a bit of mumbling about why, exactly, they needed two weekly style sections. Now we have our answer. This week, the Times treats us to "Be Yourselves, Girls, Order the Rib-Eye." The article goes on to explain that a lot of men find it sexy when women order steak (independent, confident etc.). This , says the article, belies the former strategy that women used to use to snare men: ordering nothing and eating less.

I love steak (med rare, please) so this is a train I would easily board. However. At the end of the day, it seems the article suggests that, regardless of what women order, they are doing it with the end-goal of not, say, enjoying their meal but for presenting a particular posture to their male date.

Is it so much to ask that women (and men!) be able to do as the headline almost exhorts and be themselves?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well said! I read that article and thought the same thing. Sounded like "The Rules" pushing meat-eating. We should eat it 'cause we like it, not to snag a man. And I'll eat my damn salad if I want to, even if I look "wimpy".