Friday, May 15, 2009

Does this study make you want to practice withdawal?

So how many of you have seen this study about withdrawal? It comes from the Guttmacher Institute, which for those of you who don't know, is definitely one of the leading research bodies on sexual and reproductive health, and compares pregnancy rates for couples using withdrawal for birth control versus those using the male condom. And it found that the rates were almost the same!

But does that mean we'll all run out and start relying on withdrawal as a method of birth control?

I know I definitely wouldn't feel comfortable depending on the old "pull out" method to make sure I wouldn't get pregnant -- it just seems like there are too many things that could go wrong. Plus, I have mixed feelings about promoting it as a method. On the one hand, I know as well as anyone that hormonal birth control isn't for everyone. On the other hand, withdrawal is risky, and leaves a lot of room for human error. Plus, it in no way protects against STDs! But what do you think?

PS - how to find the best birth control for you; the top ten contraception myths; and trusting a boyfriend to take the male birth control pill.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

This study makes me glad I'm on birth control. I'm absolutely shocked that withdrawl is that effective though. I think I need to think more about this.